Bricklayers lay bricks, concrete blocks, stone and other materials to construct or repair walls, arches, chimneys, fireplaces and other structures based on blueprints and specifications. They could be installing firebricks in commercial and industrial furnaces and incinerators.
- Laying brick, stone or similar materials to build chimneys and fireplaces, patios, walls or walkways
- Laying firebricks to line industrial chimneys and smokestacks
- Cutting and trimming bricks using hand and power tools
- Lining or relining furnaces and boilers using acid resistant bricks
- Restoring, cleaning or painting existing brick structures
- Reading and interpreting sketches and blueprints.
- Reading Text
- Oral Communication
- Critical Thinking
- Problem Solving
- Document Use
- Work safely as a team, following written and oral directions
- Able to perform heavy manual labour for prolonged periods of time
- Read and interpret documents, work with numbers to perform calculations
- Problem solving skills to provide solutions to challenges
Job Testimonial Videos
Job Overview Videos
- What does a bricklayer do?
- Brick Masonry – Skills Canada
- What it feels like to be a stonemason on Parliament Hill
Apprenticeship is required
Education Requirements :
- Completion of high school
- Apprenticeship: 4880 hours (720 hours in school)
- A brick and stone mason is a voluntary trade in Ontario
This program provides theory and hands-on training for the brick and stone mason trade and foundational skills in construction carpentry. It ss designed to provide students with training where they will learn to safely and properly operate hand and power tools, as well as equipment found on the construction site. Students will have opportunities to use masonry materials and supplies and to practice the selection, preparation and installation of masonry materials.
- ALGONQUIN COLLEGE-MASONRY
- CONESTOGA COLLEGE-BRICK AND STONE FUNDAMENTALS
- FANSHAWE COLLEGE-BRICK AND STONE FUNDAMENTALS
- ONTARIO MASONRY TRAINING CENTRE- MISSISSAUGA
- ST LAWRENCE COLLEGE-BRICK AND STONE MASONRY APPRENTICESHIP
Download Career Profile Pdf
Did you know
The Great Wall of China is made of 3,873,000,000 bricks.
Did you know
Bricks are energy efficient because they hold sunlight throughout the day and release that energy after the sun goes down.
Did you know
The Minerals used to create a brick determine its colour. Bricks are red due to iron in them, and higher temperatures produce darker coloured bricks.
Back to Dashboard